Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I made a cake!

Lately I have been a little obsessed with Ace of Cakes and the Food Challenge with all the crazy cakes. They just look so fun. My sister is getting married at the end of the summer, so I offered to make her cake. Granted I have never actually made a wedding cake, but I figure that since I had watched all these shows and how to video's on youtube that it would be fun. This weekend I decided to do a practice cake, I think it turned out ok for my first try. It is obviously not a wedding cake, but I needed to try working with fondant. It's really not that hard. I took the cake to young woman's on sunday to share, it went along with my lesson on Temple Marriage. I wasn't a huge fan of the pound cake recipe that I tried though so if any one has a good chocolate pound cake recipe let me know!!



I also wanted to post a picture of the father's day cards that I made this year, I thought they were really cute. I have more pictures of cards on facebook.

9 comments:

Nikki Nielsen said...

look at you all crafty! i'm thoroughly impressed with both projects. wish you could have been here for my wedding cake disaster!

The Full Nelson said...

love the cake and cards! Very cute! I love fondant, so fun and so many colours!

Lis Drage said...

The cake is amazing!!!! And those cards... So cute. I have always been intimidated by fondant....I will just have to admire your creations lol.

Sharee said...

Brady and I made cards like that too! I loved them! Yours are so cute!

Robyn said...

The cake looks great, making me hungry. If you want some help with fondant the Micheal's craft store up here does cake decorating classes...they may down there too.

If you need any taste testing before the wedding though, I'm totally here for you, anytime. :)

Elysa Johnston said...

You are so talented! You are such a cool leader to bring in a cake for a lesson--can I come to your class??
Have you seen the show Cake Boss? I totally love that show, only wish it didn't make me crave cake everytime I watched it!

Channynba said...

Making those kinds of cakes is my life long dream...hahhahhahaha. It looks so good for your first try. You are talented. Have you ever considered the wilton classes that Michaels put on

Mimsi Mack said...

Wow Ashley! That cake looks great. I think Amy will have an amazing cake - where did all this craftiness come from anyway?? You didn't get it from your mother, that's for sure.:D
You know I love your cards. Dad was pretty impressed with his.
I'm looking forward to the wedding cake.

Jenny May McKim said...

SOOOOO cute the cards you made, and the cake is adorable. I keep wanting to try out working with fondant, but I think I'm scared of it because people say it is not as hard as they thought, and then I'll end up thinking it was crazy hard!